Tuesday, July 29, 2014

What the Bible Says: About Pride


Pride is definitely something I've always struggled with. I was an only child until I turned 18. Throughout my childhood, I figured most homes were like mine; I basically got to watch TV whenever I wanted because I had a TV in my room & didn't have to argue over what to watch, I got to play with whatever toys I wanted & didn't have to share, and I got my parents all to myself. I always believed I was just a bit more special than everyone else.

As a teenager, I was terribly self-centered and wanted everything my way. Especially at home. I argued with my parents, I disobeyed them, & I didn't care if what I did hurt them; the only thing that mattered to me was what I wanted. I didn't care what anyone else thought about me and ended up being labeled as a spoiled brat. My pride destroyed my relationships not only with my parents, but many others.

I'm not proud of how I acted as a teenager, I'm awfully ashamed. But I'm definitely thankful that Jesus came into my life and showed me the problem I needed to work on. Don't get me wrong, I still deal with my pride. If I get into an argument with one of my loved ones & I realize I'm wrong, I just stop talking and don't want to finish the conversation. So I still have a lot to work on. But I found some verses that I know will help me through it. God's word is always helpful when you find yourself struggling with... well, yourself.

"Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall." -Proverbs 16:18
What my study bible says: Proud people take little account of their weaknesses and do not anticipate stumbling blocks. They think they are above the frailties of common people. In this state of mind they are easily tripped up. Ironically, proud people seldom realize that pride is their problem, although everyone around them is well aware of it. Ask someone you trust whether self-satisfaction has blinded you to warning signs. He or she may help you avoid a fall.

"But after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the Lord his God, and entered the temple of the Lord to burn incense on the alter of incense. -2 Chronicles 26:16
What my study bible says: After God gave Uzziah great prosperity and power, he became proud and corrupt. It is true that "pride goes before destruction"(Proverbs 16:18). If God has given you wealth, influence, popularity, and power, be thankful but be careful. God hates pride. While it is normal to feel elation when we accomplish something, it is wrong to be disdainful of God or to look down on others. Check your attitudes and remember to give God the credit for what you have. Use your gifts in ways that please Him.

"Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice." -Proverbs 13:10
What my study bible says: "I was wrong" or "I need advice" are difficult phrases to utter because they require humility. Pride is an ingredient in every quarrel. It stirs up conflict and divides people. Humility, by contrast, heals. Guard against pride. If you find yourself constantly arguing, examine your life for pride. Be open to the advice of others, ask for help when you need it, and be willing to admit your mistakes.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your ability to openly admit your fault of character, for everyone has them. There are some eight billion people populating this world and, out of those eight billion, none are perfect. Not a single one. This post shows contrast between the girl you were in the past and the woman you are now. You are a woman that's devoted to her faith and relentless in her pursuit of positive personal growth, and that in itself is enough to strike inspiration in the hearts of your readers.

    ReplyDelete