Monday, September 1, 2014

Good Reads: Gods at War


When I first saw this book on the shelf at the store, I thought, "Gods at War? But there's only one God." I almost didn't even buy it. Most people can see this book or read a description of it and decide that it's not for them; obviously I did the same thing. But although I know for a fact, that there is only one God, there are things in our lives that are fighting for His place in our hearts. That is what Kyle Idleman discusses in this book.

Gods at War definitely opened my eyes to things that can take over our focus in place of God without us even noticing. This book discusses idols and claims that most people can say they don't worship any idols when in fact they do, they just don't realize it. Idols can take forms of money, food, relationships, sex, success, family and even yourself. What is it that we focus on daily? What takes over our minds in our free time? Does our having a good or bad day depend on certain situations or other people? These questions can reveal your idols.

Although I figured I didn't need this book, something told me to give this book a chance and I'm so thankful that I took time to read it. There was obviously something going on in my life that God wanted me to come to terms with. Little did I know, I found a few idols in my life that were replacing God when they should not have been. And now, I can fix that with God's help. Because only He can fulfill our desires; not money, not food, not sex, not our spouse. Only God can provide us with complete happiness.

Purchase Gods at War by Kyle Idleman here

This is a great read! I hope everyone had an awesome weekend and has a blessed week! Happy Labor Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment